Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Hard at Work - Progress Report

I've been working away since I finished my exams on the 12th of May. I've been working on solidity of position and some finesses in my trigger control, my follow through, my reading of conditions and being consciously relaxed throughout the shot. It's been productive. It's a process that's far from done, but I know what I've got work done on and I know what's important but is yet to do.

I'm being somewhat guarded, I know, because I don't want to try evaluate the proportion of individual chunks of work which are completed and what's left to do, lest I underestimate the latter. It feels good though. I'm much more consistent, relaxed and proficient. However, part of the result of that is that I have a much better understanding of the deficiencies of my technique and my process, which is a negative aspect. It's now important to focus on the good work done and to be proactive about fixing what's left to do.

Now, to that end, it's important to take the good first. My prone position is very solid, very comfortable, well balanced and efficient. My aiming process is excellent. I've adopted a good relaxation technique and blended it into my shot routine so that my point of aim is very natural and relaxed, meaning smaller groups. I read conditions better than ever. My triggering and follow-through are improving all the time. The former in particular is getting very good, while the latter needs good work.

The small fly in the ointment however is inconsistent reconstruction of my position from shot to shot and throughout strings. Part of this is an equipment issue. My jacket is too big and drags around at the shoulders, the sling slides down the arm as a consequence. This results in a position that sags and disturbs the balance of tensions. However, this can be mitigated against by repositioning the sling on the arm regularly. This can be done without totally breaking the position, by dropping the rifle out of the shoulder and twitching the sling up the arm with the trigger hand, before replacing the buttplate in the shoulder. The second aspect is twofold; a buttplate to shoulder fit that isn't immediately obviously perfect and a lack of a methodology to reposition the elbow and grip the pistol grip in order to establish a consistently natural and relaxed point of aim from shot to shot. Currently, the NPA can deviate relatively substantially from shot to shot, requiring constant rebuilding and re-zeroing. I may try a different buttplate to provide more uniform contact with the shoulder which will be more easily identifiable. The methodology will have to be developed in training.

So I'm not going to think about how much is yet to be done for sunday. It won't be perfect, I know that, but it'll be better than it would have been a month ago, certainly. My next programme of work on the technical side consists of the following:


Shot routine:
-Methodology of elbow placement and generation of tensions
-Assessment of position from shot to shot to determine the necessity of small alterations in sling position.

Technique:
-Better follow-through
-Consistent triggering and relaxation and NPA

Match tactics and routine:
-Greater self-awareness and ongoing self-evaluation to determine the need for alterations to sling position and tension as indicated in my plans for my shot routine
-Ongoing reinforcement of good shots and good technique.

Mental game:
-I really need to develop this, to be better at positively reinforcing good things that are done in training, feel them out better and make more of their identification.
-Mental programme to coincide with my shot routine. I worked one out, but now I need to improve my focus to make it consistent and apply myself to it.
-I need to practise my routine mentally more often and to set aside time to sit and feel my way through a competition programme.

I feel things are good now, but I'd like to get some more hands-on coaching, to get some time with an electronic trainer and to refine my process. The first step is to develop my shot routine, with the focus on the methodology of elbow placement after I load the rifle. I need to pay more attention to my mental routine also and to focus on developing that when the physical shot routine is more clearly delineated.

I intend to acquire a new sling and handstop. Might shop for those in Munich. I'd love to get a new shooting suit which would be a tidier fit around the chest and shoulders for prone and around the midsection for standing, but I need more physical work and, funnily enough, more money. That might be more viable at the end of the summer. I might also look into a new glove to better support my wrist and pad my hand, but it's not a priority. I can look into all those options while I'm in Munich anyway. For now, let's just say the outlook is positive, and I'm thinking of the current deficiencies more in terms of their representing a clear workload for me, which is distinctly conquerable. Will hopefully have something of use to say after sunday. I feel good about my shooting, so will be a question of my application of my hard work.

No comments:

Post a Comment