Saturday, January 30, 2010

Training - Prone - DRC - 30th January 2010

Today's the first day I've been able to shoot outdoors in a while, so have been looking forward to it. The original intention was to shoot a match, but it was too cold and I've got a cold at the moment, so couldn't put in a long session. Will hopefully get a chance to put in a full match tomorrow in Midlands however.

Started out well, got settled and grouped nicely in my sighters. First string of the card was a nice 98, though the tens in the first diagram were too loose for my liking, 10.1s and 10.2s; the second diagram was nice and tight however, with everything except one called duff shot going nice and tight to the centre.

Developed optical problems in the second half of the card however. DRC is unfortunately located in that the sun tends to shine on the shooters from high and right. This is immensely distracting and plays tricks on the right eye, causing the sight picture in the left to warp and distort. Despite this, I managed to hold the second string almost together, though there were some fluffy shots. I need to find a way to properly and consistently occlude light from the non-aiming eye. For prefernce, I try to avoid using a blind outdoors, as it allows observation of flags and indicators between shots while remaining in the aiming position. The visor I'm using has a tendency to slide up the back of my head rather than staying in place. This is the thing to work on outdoors. Technique is still good, with tens falling in comfortably, but making the experience easier is the next hurdle. Midlands doesn't really suffer the same light problems, so hopefully tomorrow will feature a more useful and comprehensive update with a full match result.

No comments:

Post a Comment