Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Training - Prone - DURC - 20th January 2010

Well, today's my first live-fire session in over a month. The snow over the holidays rendered all my shooting plans null and void and I was confined to dry-firing at home. This evidently didn't prove too bad for my shooting however, as today was better than expected for going so long without live firing.

Result was 388/400, which isn't bad for the recent past. Was expecting somewhere between 380 and 385. There's definitely a lot going for me at the moment, and the mechanics were starting to fall together better. I spent too long shooting that forty-shot string, but at the end, I had four rounds left over in the box, so I went back to the sighter target and shot those with a deliberately quick rhythm and knocked them all into a tight little group in the centre of the ten. Clearly, things are looking good. The mini-match itself included an 8, due to just really poor concentration and shot judgement.

The most noteworthy aspects of it, in a critical sense, were poor concentration over a long session and inconsistent trigger control. Sight picture was very good, hold was very good, position needs some consistency work, but is solid. Concentration was the major issue, and trigger control will be a product of regular shooting.

The strings were 96, 99, 96, 97, with the second 96 featuring the dodgy eight and a nine that was also poor shot judgement. The first 96 felt better, but featured some errors as I was still settling back into a shooting rhythm. The 99 was very tight, with the only nine just edging out, and the groups nicely formed. the 97 was a product of fatigue, with at least one and possibly a second shot the product of a loss of concentration.

I can however definitely see forty shot scores creeping up further towards 395/400 in the next few months, as I was very pleased with today's session. The comfort of my revised position is paying dividends as I can shoot under time pressure without my focus being unduly affected by discomfort. This will be of great benefit towards the end of matches, and will doubtless save me what might otherwise be lost points and places.

My current short-term focus is the Isle of Man at Easter, with the target being 585 under relatively easy conditions, or 580 under trying conditions. I'm currently on course for this with regular training opportunities. The longer term focus is of course the World University Shooting Championships in Wroclaw next September. This will be a far more challenging match and I aim to step up the standards to match, with my score goal being 595 and a 104+ final. That should hopefully secure a win, which is the goal at the end of it. Mike Dunne's expressed interest in shooting it as well, and with the facilities in Munich at his feet, I'll need to work hard to keep up. Could be a good team effort though.

No comments:

Post a Comment