Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Following On...

... from the last update, where I mentioned issues with trigger control which had gone unnoticed during a match and which had been commented on by others afterwards, I was determined tonight to make good on that and to drill the bad habits out. What I wanted to do was to underline the stage in my shot routine at which I sit on the first stage of the trigger, check my inner position and sight picture, and then squeeze through the trigger slowly.

It was rough at first, very rough, with the routine difficult to make consistent, but it got smoother as I went along. I started with the intention of a forty shot match, but the difficulties in the routine mandated that I ignore everything except the technique issues and drills. At first, there were issues with inner position and zero, which meant that even when the release was good for a string of shots, they weren't as tidy as they should have been. I also discovered that any slightly long hold would cause me to flinch at the shot, which threw strange fliers in unpredictable directions. After some time and a few breaks, I got the feeling for the position solid enough that I could focus on the shot release and group tightly. It still wasn't perfect, as subsequent group photos will show, but it was an improvement.

After that, I shot some sighters and four groups of ten, with the intention of scoring it out of 400 in the back of my mind, and a focus on good shots and strong mental focus at the forefront of it. Initially I thought the score worked out at 392 or 393 ex. 400. However, on closer examination it appears to be 391. It's not amazing but it could be a lot worse. Particularly at the end, I shot a nice, round group of ten shots with good control of inner position and a good shot release. Slightly rough releases earned me 10.1s and 10.0s, good releases earned consistent 10Xs and one quite poor release earned me a shot that could be either a 9.9 or a 10.0. I'm inclined to think it's a 9, but it's trickier to call looking dead on it than it seems in the photos. I feel the control is improving. The forty shots I scored feature plenty of tens, and some bad shots, which were, barring one sight picture error, universally down to sloppy trigger control. This shows how good things could be if I perfect this, which makes it my project for the next while.


I scored this as 97, and it features the shifting inner position problem hanging over it, with small sight changes not overcoming the strange shift from ten o'clock to four. Releases were okay, with the looser shot at five o'clock the only issue, and the other shot out at four down to the shifting zero and inner position problem.


As we can see, the inner position tightened up and stayed on the right hand side. The elongated group shape isn't a major problem as far as I'm concerned as it's within the ten ring. A problem for another day. Judicious use of the sights got the last few shots comfortably in the ten ring and a few clicks at the end meant a good start to the next group. I scored this as 98.


This highlights the flinch issue I mentioned, accounting for the eight at eight o'clock. This was in the middle of a good string of tens, and as you can see, the group is developing nice and roundly. I make this another 97, but something of a tragedy. The two shots were down to trigger control and over-holding, with the eight on a flinch.


Here we see it's coming together. The group is nice and roundly formed, the shots are good, with even the slightly noticeably rough trigger control shots going in the ten, and the roughest of all the ambiguous shot at six o'clock. I make this either 99 or 100 and it's tougher to call in the flesh than on the card. This is where I think it's all coming together, as the position set up well each time, the correct tensions were generated, and I was reading each shot perfectly. Hopefully further training sessions will build more on this last group and we might yet be on track for Belgrade and the European Championships.

A quick note worth mentioning is that all my training lately has been with Eley Sport. I'm finding I'm comfortable to know when a shot was bad and when it was the ammo and the price allows me more trigger time, which is the most important thing to me at the moment. I think I'll probably buy two or three thousand of it to last me over the summer and it won't break the bank too badly. Quality is certainly good enough to be readable, and if there's the odd weird shot, so be it.

No comments:

Post a Comment