Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Nice Confidence Session Before the Nationals

Always good to finish feeling in control before a competition. I've been listening to the Bassham stuff on mental management a good bit and the result is that I'm feeling my shot routine better in terms of a process and accompanying series of images. I've also been experimenting with a sling position on my forward arm, coming around the wrist rather than the back of the hand, and the results are very positive. The changes now are that I feel my head sitting better on top of the rifle, much more vertical sense of support, and my comfort levels are much better, from shot to shot and after finishing. Recovery time for comfort levels is greatly improved. My condition wasn't the best for shooting this evening. A long day hunched over a desk, staring at paper and screens wasn't doing much good for either muscles or eyes (I couldn't hold a sight picture for more than about three seconds) but the process was good, and it was consistent. Trigger control is greatly improved, though consistency still needs to be better. A couple of shots broke unexpectedly today for loose tens, but most were well controlled. It's an element of the process that's still developing. When my eyesight was proving troublesome, I trusted to the inner position and the hold, and shot well. I sighted in and shot two groups of ten, for a 197, and all the bad shots were well known. This is the final group. The 9.9 wasn't something I saw, but with my dodgy eyes, who knows... I'm happy that it felt controlled anyway. There were some looser tens where I might have overheld or was a little rough on the trigger, but it's all coming together.

No comments:

Post a Comment